Smithville Mansion, Burlington, NJ. Courtesy Burlington County Cultural and Heritage Commission
Smithville Mansion: First County Park
Smithville was once a self-contained industrial
hamlet with a manor house, workers' housing, factory buildings, a
farm complex, church, and municipal buildings, around Smithville
lake. The village centerpiece was the Smithville 1840 brick
In 1975, the mansion and surrounding site were
acquired by the Burlington County Board of Chosen Freeholders to
develop as the first Burlington County park. The squarish house,
covered by a log tip roof was refurbished to its 1865 appearance.
The mansion complex remains the centerpiece of the park, and houses
the Offices of the Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Documentation comprises one page of text and a
Originally submitted by: Christopher H. Smith, Representative (4th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.