Items available at Bethesda Farm Women's Market, late 1930s. Photo courtesy Montgomery County Historical Society
Bethesda Farm Women's Market
This Montgomery County co-op operates in the same
white frame store building on Wisconsin Avenue to which the first
members brought their baked goods, eggs, jellies, and pickled
relishes on February 2, 1932.The market originated as a
community-based fund-raising effort, allowing farmers' wives to
sell their products directly to suburbanites. The income helped
many families save their farms during the hard times of the 1930's,
when repeated drought forced many to sell or lose their land. The
market is a legacy of community cooperation and caring. Project
documentation includes 14 pages of text, and ten 8 x 10
Originally submitted by: Constance A. Morella, Representative (8th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.