Chatham Lighthouse, built 1877.
Lighthouses have a long history in Massachusetts,
the Bay State, where they were integral to shipping and fishing.
Focal points of tourism today, they symbolize the state's link to
the seacoast. The history of the Chatham Lighthouse began in 1808
when the first set of lights was constructed on the blugg called
James' Head to act as a set of range lights for the shifting shoals
of the Chatham Harbor entrance. Samuel Nye was appointed as the
first Keeper of the Chatham Lights by President Thomas Jefferson on
October 7, 1808. The current structure was built in 1877.
Originally submitted by: William D. Delahunt, Representative (10th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.