Marker at Place of Austin's Death
Stephen F. Austin
Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas," died on
December 27, 1836, in Columbia (now West Columbia), Texas. He was
buried at his sister's home at Peach Point Plantation near
present-day Jones Creek, but was reinterred in 1910 on the "Hill of
Heroes" in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin. A monument had been
placed on the site where Austin died in West Columbia, Brazoria
County, during the Texas Centennial Year 1936 by the State of
Texas, but the marker and entire area had been overgrown with
weeds, and the property was filled with abandoned oil field
equipment. It was impossible to recognize as a historically
significant site in Texas history.
The property was purchased in 1994 by Billy F. Price,
a Houston businessman and long-time county resident. The five-acre
site was cleaned, a flagpole erected, and, beginning in 1994, a
Texas flag was dedicated and flies continuously at the location of
Austin's death. Each year, a new flag is raised at a rededication
ceremony, and the flag flown the year before is presented to a
local school. The rededication ceremony is intended to be an
acknowledgment of and show appreciation for Texas history. The
project is documented with a reports on the rededication ceremony;
Austin's birthday ceremony; Samuel May Williams, Austin's friend;
and Mary Austin Holley, Austin's cousin. In addition, there are
several programs from the 1999 rededication ceremony, photos, a
copy of a Brazoria County Proclamation honoring Stephen Fuller
Austin, and a videotape of the 1999 rededication ceremony.
Originally submitted by: Ron Paul, Representative (14th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.