U.S. Brig Niagara
Niagara played a decisive role in the
victorious Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813, during the
War of 1812. Although scuttled in 1820, it was raised and rebuilt
with many of the original timbers in 1913 to mark the centennial of
the battle. Many renovations later, it was launched again on
September 10, 1988, in celebration of the 175th anniversary.
Originally submitted by: Phil English, Representative (21st District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.