skip navigation and jump to page content The Library of CongressThe American Folklife Center 
Community Roots: Selections from the Local Legacies Project
Collage of Local Legacies
 Home >> MARYLAND
Dudley's Chapel, December 30, 1999
Dudley's Chapel, December 30, 1999. Photo: Loretta C. Walls

Dudley's Chapel

Built in 1783 on land donated by Joshua Dudley, Dudley's Chapel grew out of a society organized in 1774. It was the first meetinghouse in Queen Anne's County, and one of the earliest surviving Methodist churches in the nation. Bishop Francis Asbury, Thomas Coke and Richard Whatcoat preached here. Though it is still not wired for electricity, it is still in use today.

Originally submitted by: Wayne T. Gilchrest, Representative (1st District).



link to www.loc.govMore Local Legacies...

The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.

disclaimer for external linksLearn More About It...
 Home >> MARYLAND
  The Library of Congress 
  
The American Folklife Center
Contact Us
AFC Icon