Love and Charity Hall, circa 1990. Photo courtesy Montgomery County Historical Society
Warren Historic Site
On this historic African-American site in
Martinsburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County stand a church built in
1903, the Warren United Methodist Church; a meeting house built in
1903, the Love and Charity Hall; and a schoolhouse built in 1860,
the Martinsburg Negro School. The schoolhouse consisted of a single
classroom for grades one through seven. The Warren Historic Site is
particularly important because it is the only rural black community
in Maryland where three public buildings which were at the heart of
the community -- the church, the society hall, and the school --
still stand. The church and school buildings are still in use
today; the society hall is now in disrepair.
These three buildings were the center of a thriving
post-Civil War rural black community that at its height included
some forty residences owned by black farmers and laborers and their
Originally submitted by: Constance A. Morella, Representative (8th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.