American Memory: Technical summary
The Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures,
Actuality motion pictures and recreations showing preparations for the
war of 1898, troops departing for the war, battle scenes (recreations),
and various parades and celebrations following the war, including
parades for Admiral George Dewey, the hero of Manila Bay. Also, one
drama about a soldier going to war and returning home.
- Source collection
Paper Prints Motion Picture Collection
, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Technical features
Silent motion picture footage originally shot at about 15 frames per second.
- Original material formats
- Number of original items
- 53 (initial release), 15 (second release)
- Status of collection
- Initial release online in February 1998.
- Public access
- The Library is not aware of any restrictions that inhibit public
access to this collection. See notes on rights and
restrictions provided by the Library to users of this collection.
Aids to intellectual access
- Type & granularity
- MARC bibliographic records. Each bib. record describes a single item.
- Linking to digital reproductions
- Bibliographic record contains identifier used in filenames for all
versions and segments of movie. MPEG and QuickTime files for motion
pictures longer than four minutes are divided into segments.
Total file-space for digital reproductions: 3.5
||Filename extension ".mpg"
||Filename extension ".mov"
||Filename ends "t"|
||ca. 1.2 Mbits/sec
||ca. 640 Kbits/sec
|Approx. file size range
Library of Congress contribution to Digital Libraries Initiative - Phase II