Dr. Irvin D. Leoser's Log Cabin, Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
This log cabin once belonged to Dr. Irvin D. Leoser, a physician from Pennsylvania who lived among the Cherokee Indians of eastern Oklahoma during the second half of the nineteenth century. In addition to serving the Cherokee community of Tahlequah, Dr. Leoser took in families who had been displaced by the Civil War. Built of twelve-inch square oak logs, the cabin is one of the earliest examples of frontier log construction remaining in the state of Oklahoma.
Coos Bay Bridge (Conde B. McCullough Memorial Bridge), North Bend, Oregon.
At 5,305 feet in length, the Coos Bay Bridge is the longest of the five Public Works Administration bridges built along the Oregon Coastal Highway during the Great Depression. Made of steel, the bridge incorporates many complex structural systems and technological innovations including cantilevers, trusses, and early examples of concrete arches. Motorists feel as though they are driving under a series of arches when they travel over the bridge.
Independence Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Central to the founding of the United States of America, Independence Hall is known as the site of events such as the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, the ratification of the Articles of Confederation in 1781, and the creation of the United States Constitution in 1787. Independence Hall was built from 1733 to 1756 and first used as the State House of the colony of Pennsylvania. This drawing shows the prominent central tower that identifies Independence Hall as an important public building.
Isaac Bell House, Newport, Rhode Island.
In the late nineteenth century, Newport, Rhode Island, became famous as a summer resort for wealthy Americans, many of whom built Newport "cottages" in the latest architectural styles. The Isaac Bell House is an important early example of the Shingle Style, a style of Victorian architecture popular in the late nineteenth century and named after the decorative shingles used on the exterior. The designers of the Bell House, the architects McKim, Mead, & White, designed several important buildings in Newport and elsewhere, including Madison Square Garden and the original Pennsylvania Station in New York City.