D'Evereux, Natchez vicinity, Mississippi.
Completed in 1840, D'Evereux is an excellent example of the Greek Revival style, an architectural style popular throughout the United States, and especially in the South, before the Civil War. The style is loosely based on the architecture of ancient Greece. The builders of D'Evereux applied Greek and Roman architectural motifs to everything from the ironwork of the servants' quarters to the woodwork and the ceilings of the main house. Many of the architectural ornaments, such as the ones shown here, were inspired by ancient urns, buildings, and other artifacts found at the ancient Roman cities of Herculaneum and Pompeii.
Louis Bolduc House, Sainte Genevieve, Missouri.
The Bolduc House, now a museum, is one of a few remaining French Colonial buildings in the upper Mississippi Valley. As described in the HABS written historical data pages, it is constructed of poteaux sur sole, vertical posts set on a sill, with the interstices filled with bouzillage, sticks covered with a mud and straw mixture. In addition to its construction, the large overhanging eaves and steep roof are distinct characteristics of the style.
Anaconda Reduction Department, Anaconda vicinity, Montana.
The copper mining town of Anaconda is known for the manufacture and sale of hardware, machinery, and supplies for mining companies. It is also known for its precast building parts and ornaments, such as storefronts and lampposts, made from recycled scrap iron. The Anaconda Reduction Department's breaker house shown here was built around 1900 to break down scrap iron before it was shipped to the furnace for melting and eventual reuse.
Gustav Rohrich Sod House, Bellwood, Nebraska.
Many early white settlers in the Western plains built sod-block houses such as this one because they could not afford lumber. Some sod houses had dirt floors, sod walls that sprouted grass in the summer, and roofs of tree branches covered with more sod. Others had wooden roofs and floors and plaster walls. All needed frequent repairs, and few lasted longer than fifty years. Gustav Rohrich, an Austrian-born farmer, built this two-room house with an attached cellar in 1883 for his young family. He was still living in the house when these drawings were made in 1934. At that time, he was eighty-five years old and his well-maintained house was the last "soddy" standing in the township.